Friday, February 24, 2012

How friendly are the people in Nashville, TN?

I am considering moving to Nashville, TN and just returned from apt hunting this past weekend. I am looking for a small town feel in a medium to large city full of southern charm and southern hospitality, diversity, arts, culture, etc.



Liked the city and found a few great places to live. However, the people seemed quite cold! I went to two different churches (Lake Providence %26amp; Temple Baptist Church), and yet no one spoke to me with the exception of a woman who asked if I had Sisterloks. If people speak no where else, they certainly speak at church and that's anywhere you go, but not in Nashville! The only other person who spoke to me was a man sitting beside me at a restaurant. But no one who looked like me and there were quite a few, even looked my direction.



I realize I was in and out and didn't have much time to meet people but is this an accurate assessment of the people in Nashville, TN?!?! I spent the same amount of time in Richmond, VA in early Feb. (considered there as well) and the people were absolutely faboulous so I'm not so sure time was the driving factor. Let me know.



Thanks!How friendly are the people in Nashville, TN?
There's a general "I'm too cool for that" vibe that inhabits most of Nashville. Many people are self-absorbed/self-focused, extremely busy, image-obsessed, and don't ever commit to making plans just in case "something cooler comes up." Not everyone is like that, but if you want to live downtown or in any of the "hip" areas, that's going to be the general feeling you get. A lot of it (IMO) has to do with Nashville being so saturated with people trying to "make it" in the music business. They are either too busy with their music/business or too absorbed with their own life to really make time for anything else.



Again, there are definitely exceptions, but I've lived here for almost 3 years and that's just what I've observed. There ARE some cool things about Nashville, but if you're looking for that "Southern hospitality" thing, this might not be the city for you.
I really don't know about Nashville, but if you go to the smaller cities of Middle TN you will find friendly people who strike up a conversation with you all the time. Perfect strangers will invite you to church.



Maybe it's a big city thing that you ran into.How friendly are the people in Nashville, TN?
hey, how are ya?



don't you just hate rude people or even cold people?



I live outside atlanta, ga and people here are very cold and isolated.

not everyone i might ad but once you've been to some down to earth places

it makes atlanta look terrible.



anyway, my father and step mother lived just outside of nashville. I went to visit

on a few occasions and the people were ok... not great but ok.



i got a nice feel downtown going to the clubs and such.



Now i grew up in Charleston SC which embodies everything you mentioned. The place

has history, nice restaurants, overall great culture and atmosphere... and known as the friendliest

city in the country.



I wish i still lived there. Let me know how everything turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment