Saturday, March 3, 2012

How to become a country recording artist/singer?

I've asked this before, but I'm asking again, only updating my details?....

Okay, so I've been singing ever since I remember and started writing songs 2 years ago. I also play guitar.

I'm 13 now. I've performed for a few places, and I have some upcoming performances at a Tree Lighting and restaurant (s). People who have heard me tell me that I am very talented. And not just my parents and family either. In the spring, I'm going to Nashville to just check it out and I'm going to record a demo to bring with. I already know that I have to talk to the record labels before just going up to their doors. So, I think I might be headed in the right direction, but my parents taught me to never get my hopes up. So what else can I do? And please just don't tell me 'there's millions of people who want the same thing' I already know that! It doesn't mean I can't try.How to become a country recording artist/singer?
You MUST understand this. I don't care how many times you ask this, the answer is going to be the same. Record companies ARE NOT going to alter their rules for you. There are a hundred people who walk down Music Row every day thinking THEY are the exception; and, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, they leave broken-hearted.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE. Look at it this way, you're applying for a job. You CANNOT go up to Capitol Records' doorstep at the age of 13 and become CEO. You MUST get experience and work your way up. Look at professional baseball players: they aren't in the Little League World Series today and tomorrow pitching for the New York Yankees. For one thing, there are age restrictions (which is another reason you'll have SERIOUS trouble getting anyone to listen to you at your age), and for another, far more significant reason there is EXPERIENCE that is needed. To keep the baseball analogy, striking out a 13-year-old who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn is one thing; striking out Albert Pujols is another. You ***MUST*** have experience. Nobody in Nashville is going to give you the first listen.

And let me tell you something else, too: if you are not willing to "learn the ropes" and "come up through the ranks" you are going to show everyone in Nashville that you are NOT willing to listen, and nobody is going to want you at all. You would NEVER show up at Boeing and say, "Here I am, put me to work." No, you would first get experience, be qualified, apply, and have an appointment.

You may not like what I'm saying, but I *do* know a little bit about this business and this town. Do things the right way. Save yourself a lot of money, a lot of wasted time, and a lot of heartache. Let me assure you, if you show up next year trying to muscle your way into an office without so much as a gig under your belt "back home," you'll not only be shown the door but people are going to remember you -- and I do not mean in a positive way, but rather you'll have a "black mark," so to speak, next to your name. Believe me, EVERYBODY in Nashville knows who is hard to work with and who is easy to work with, and you don't want to be on the former list.

But hey, it's your money, your time, your reputation, and your possible future career on the line. Do what you want.

EDIT: Understand something, your life isn't over in three years. Based on the average life expectancy in the U.S. you have about another seventy years to live. Don't be in a big rush. As Jerry Reed once sang, "smell the flowers while the roses bloom." Also remember that there is no such thing as an overnight sensation. The people you THINK are overnight sensations have, in reality, been working in bars, school gyms, and parks for years, if not DECADES. Good case in point is Claude King, who was a sensation in 1961 with a song called "Wolverton Mountain." Everyone thought he was an overnight sensation, but by the time that song came out he'd been singing professionally for TEN YEARS. A more recent example would be Keith Whitley: everyone thinks he appeared out of nowhere in 1984, but he was on a LOCAL TV show when he was eight, and as a teenager he was touring in a band. A final example would be the Freight Hoppers: I fell in love with them when I saw them at IBMA in the early 2000s. They were discovered entertaining passengers on a Smoky Mountain tourist train! There are more ways than one to be discovered, but the most important thing you MUST remember is, regardless of the road, IT TAKES TIME.How to become a country recording artist/singer?
You and a million others, honey. Nashville won't give you teh time of day and the fact thatyou want only to go to Nashville shows how shortsighted you are, because there's Austin and Bakersfield and a whole bunch of other country music centers to go to. But like Marty says you want the major leagues before youeven learn how to play the game. Youd' better listen to the adults' advice because your'e going to get your feelings hurt and then you'll stop trying. Try becomign a "big fish ina little pond" before you try to swim out to the ocean, okay? If you ignore the wise counsel of others [not me but all the other peopel who answered your other questoins aobut the same thing] then you'll get what you deserve and that'll probably be teh door slammed in your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment